Gary, Ind. – After seven hours , 11 minutes, and 17 innings of baseball the Chicago Dogs and Gary SouthShore RailCats left U.S. Steel Yard on an unsettled note Thursday night with game two of the teams’ doubleheader suspended due to curfew.

Chicago dropped game one of the twin bill 7-6 after building up a 4-0 lead through the night’s first two innings of baseball. In opposite fashion, it was Gary who led 4-0 after one inning in game two, but who would ultimately surrender their lead as well, forcing the second leg of the doubleheader to go to extra innings tied at five.

In game one Chicago scored twice in the top of the first inning thanks to a two-run single off the bat of Craig Maddox. The Dogs would add two more runs in the top of the second on run-scoring singles from Edwin Arroyo and Treysen Vavra.

Gary began to claw back with two runs in the bottom of the third on the strength of a D.K. Carey two-run home run. For Carey, the home run netted him runs batted in numbers four and five of the series. Gary would add one more tally in the fourth inning before the floodgates opened on the Dogs bullpen in the bottom of the sixth.

Trailing 5-3 to begin the frame, the RailCats would score four times on the strength of five hits in the home half of the sixth. The inning started with the first four men reaching base. Reggie Wilson, and Carey began the rally with consecutive singles, and then pinch hitter Andy Paz scored Wilson on a double. After Alex Crosby was hit by a pitch to load the bases, another pinch hitter, Andy DeJesus, and Mitch Glasser each produced run-scoring knocks. Both men were tagged out on the base paths, but the damage had been done with Gary claiming a 7-5 lead.

Chicago would add one more run on a Matt Dean RBI single in the top of the ninth, but the Dogs would strand Dean at first in the form of the tying run. For Dean, it was the first run driven in since the season opener on May 18.

The Dogs used three different pitchers in the sixth inning with Taylor Grover, who began the frame and was charged with three earned runs, taking the loss.

Vavra extended his season-long hit streak to 12 games going 2-3 in the game.

35 minutes following the conclusion of game one of the twin bill, the two teams began game two. Dogs starter Kylin Turnbull was greeted rudely, allowing four first inning RailCats runs. Chicago would respond in their half of the second inning however, scoring twice on the strength of a Matt Telesco RBI double and a Ryan Gyrion run-scoring ground out.

In the middle of the second inning, a deluge brought the tarp onto the playing surface at U.S. Steel Yard, pausing game two for one hour and 11 minutes. Once play resumed, Turnbull’s night was over, and Rich Mascheri was brought into the game in relief. Mascheri would keep the score at 4-2 before Chicago evened the game in the fourth with another run-scoring double from Telesco and an RBI single from Gyrion.

The RailCats would push back in front with a run in the bottom of the fifth, but an Arroyo RBI triple scored Jonathan Moroney to tie the game in the top of the seventh. The triple was Arroyo’s second in three games after Chicago went their first ten games without any.

With seven innings scheduled for each game of the twin bill, Gary came to the plate in the bottom of the frame with a chance to walk the Dogs off. Randy Santiesteban doubled to left center with one out, but the combination of Kyle Gaedele, and  Arroyo, gunned down the potential winning run at the plate.

The game would continue scoreless through the eighth, ninth, and tenth innings, before, per American Association rules, the game was suspended due to a 12:00 a.m. curfew. A resumption date has yet to be set.

With their losing streak having grown to ten games, the Dogs will return home to begin a six-game home stand beginning Friday night against the Winnipeg Goldeyes. First pitch of game one of the three-game weekend set is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.

The game will be broadcast on with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 6:45 p.m.